Steamroller

Saturday, September 20, 2014

About Face

I love cosmetics.  Love, love love them, which is an odd thing to say, because I hardly wear any.  I own more than any woman probably should.. and I attribute that to the fact that on occasion (halloween, and many of the theme parties of my fancy free days)  I will bust out some blue eyeshadow, or some really funky red lipstick, to fit the theme or the costume, but the truth is, aside from a little dab of tinted moisturizer, and some good mascara and lip gloss, the rest seems like a gigantic bother, and we've all seen the ladies about town who wear so much eyeshadow that they look like clowns, or the ones with the foundation line down their jaws.. um yeah - not attractive.

Recently on my journey to confronting 40, I cleaned out my makeup baskets, and threw away close to 25 different colors of eye shadow, and I think nearly as many shades of lipstick, and random other things.  I laughed when I came across a bottle of foundation... I think in my entire lifetime, I can count the number of times I've worn foundation on both hands, and still have several fingers to spare. Another rare thing for me, is to wash my face with anything besides water and a washcloth...yes, crazy I know, but I do indulge in good face cream, moisturizer, and any other damn lotion or potion I can get my hands on, in hopes of a miracle

When I turned 35, I took a good hard look in the mirror, I saw some fine lines starting. At the time, I had just begun receiving Birchbox, and made my preferences anything and everything skin care.  For the next 3+ years, I tried anything and everything they've sent me.  The products have run the gammut from ungodly expensive, to drug store quality, and from do nothing, to "I look like a goddess after one use".  The experimenting has been fun, and informative, and has taught me to do a lot of research and figure out what truely is 'good' and what is all hype.

I think I mentioned in my last blog, I was going to give Kiehl's a whirl, and I have ordered what is 6 month worth of their product line to arrive this week. as everything I've had thus far from them has been Ah Mazing.  Today I added to that purchase Benefit mascara (the only one I can find that doesn't flake into my eyeballs and drive me batty, or look like something that a kardashian would sport)  and Fresh Sugar Rose liptint (it's really worth the $20+ bucks a tube, lasts forever, and makes your lips feel incredible.)  Why not go for quality over quantity right?

and so, on the eve of another gigantic hurdle towards 40,  I have found peace with myself and my skin care, so that I can continue to confront 40 every step of the way.

Now... onto my closet!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



No comments:

Post a Comment